Vacancy: Freelance Youth Leader or Assistant
PROGRESS YOUTH THEATRE
– Freelance Youth Leader or Assistant Youth Leader wanted
ABOUT THE ROLE
Progress Theatre is looking to hire an experienced and enthusiastic freelance youth theatre leader, to challenge and develop our 15 to 18-year-old youth theatre members, via weekly drama workshops and our in-house productions. However, we also welcome applications for a freelance Assistant Youth Leader and, based on training and growth in experience, we would anticipate this person advancing to Youth Leader at the right time. We will contract either a Youth Leader or Assistant Youth Leader based on applications.
Progress Youth Theatre has a rich history of supporting and developing young people. We pride ourselves on offering training in a range of theatrical techniques, including backstage and technical. We strongly believe in offering young people a grounding in all the skills needed to mount a production, and work to offer them autonomy and ownership of their work, within a supportive environment.
Interviewees may be expected to lead some of a youth session during the selection process. The successful candidate will be expected to shadow some youth sessions during the Autumn term, prior to signing a freelancer contract.
For more information on Progress Youth Theatre please see http://progresstheatre.co.uk/youth-theatre or email email@example.com.
Youth Leader - £20 per hour, 6 hours per week
Assistant Youth Leader - £12 per hour, 6 hours per week
Please email a copy of your cv with a covering letter explaining how you meet the criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org
5pm, 15th October 2017
KEY TASKS - Youth Leader undertakes all Key Tasks.
Assistant Youth Leader to support existing Youth Leaders.
- To plan and deliver weekly drama workshops covering a range of topics including improvisation, devising, character development, physical theatre, mime, voice work, masks, text work. We are particularly interested in the appointed leader developing areas of his/her interests and expertise. Workshops are run on Monday evenings.
- To support three Youth Theatre productions a year, taking the lead in casting and directing at least one of these. This involves rehearsals on 2 or 3 extra nights a week.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES - Youth Leader fully undertakes all Key Responsibilities. Assistant Youth Leader to support existing Youth Leaders.
- To ensure that all weekly sessions and any additional one off projects undertaken are of the highest quality within the given resources.
- To communicate effectively with the Progress Theatre Management Committee (MC).
- To ensure that all sessions are safely managed; notifying the MC of any complex or high-risk activity.
- To be a positive advocate for the work of the Progress Youth Theatre with young people, parents/carers and external partners.
- To work within agreed budgets where applicable.
- To follow guidelines, procedures and policies provided by the charity.
- To be aware of, and comply with, the rules and legislation pertaining to Health and Safety at work.
- To be key holder for the theatre, and abide by duties and responsibilities associated with this.
- Ensure development and participation of all students within sessions and productions.
PERSON SPECIFICATION – Both roles
Experience in facilitating practical drama workshops with young people up to the age of 18 (note that limited experience is acceptable for Assistant Youth Leader).
Flair for progressing young people in theatre making skills and experience in directing theatre pieces with young people (note that limited experience is acceptable for Assistant Youth Leader).
Excellent communication and people skills.
- Skills in planning, organising and prioritising work (note that limited skills are acceptable for Assistant Youth Leader, with a willingness to learn).
- Self-starter and team player.
- Discretion in handling matters of confidentiality.
- Updated CRB/DBS enhanced disclosure (or agreement for us to seek one on the candidate’s behalf).
- Current Public Liability Insurance cover
Driving licence and own transport.
Experience of working with young people with special educational needs.