Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Audition: at Progress Theatre
Weds 31 May 7.30pm and
Sunday 4 June at 2pm
Performances: 16-19 November 2017, inc. Saturday matinée
Hamlet is one of Shakespeare's most famous tragedies, which is set in Denmark. The main protagonist is Hamlet, the child of King Hamlet and Queen Gertrude.
When the play opens, King Hamlet has recently died. Claudius, King Hamlet's brother, has been crowned the new King and has married Gertrude. Shortly after the marriage, Hamlet meets the spirit of King Hamlet. People believe that King Hamlet was killed by a poisonous snake bite. However, the Ghost tells Hamlet that he was murdered by Claudius. Claudius killed the king by pouring poison into his ear while he slept. He says that Claudius has seduced Gertrude and stolen the throne. The Ghost tells Hamlet that "The serpent that did sting thy father's life / Now wears his crown".
Hamlet needs proof of the murder and feigns madness to observe Claudius and plot revenge.
The play exposes the essence of the human condition and what truly drives us. This production will explore the emotional depth of all the characters and also look at different aspects of the play not previously seen. Intrigued? I hope so.
The production will be set in an alternative modern Denmark, which lies closely to the side of our own world, one that does not have modern technology. We will also have a female Hamlet which will allow us the scope to produce a really unique Shakespearean experience for the audience.
- Hamlet The Prince of Denmark, 25-35
- Gertrude The Queen of Denmark, Hamlet’s mother, 50-60
- Ophelia Polonius’s daughter, Hamlet’s girlfriend, 18-25
- The Ghost The spectre of Hamlet’s deceased father, 50-65
- Claudius The King of Denmark, Hamlet’s uncle, 50-65
- Polonius The Lord Chamberlain of Claudius’s court, 50-65
- Horatio Hamlet’s close friend, 25-35
- Laertes Polonius’s son and Ophelia’s brother, 20-30
Male or Female – there will be doubling up on some of these characters:
- Fortinbras The young Prince of Norway, 20-30
- Gravediggers * 2, any Age
- Rosencrantz slightly bumbling courtier, 25-40
- Guildenstern slightly bumbling courtier, 25-40
- Courtiers Additional members of the court, any Age
- Marcellus One of the officers who first sees the ghost, 25+
- Bernardo One of the officers who first sees the ghost, 25+
- The players a group of at least 4 travelling actors, any Age
Other Characters: Any Age
- A Priest, A Captain,
- Servants, Soldiers,
- Sailors (2), English Ambassadors
We have selected audition pieces for the various roles which be available from 1 May to download from our website, www.progresstheatre.co.uk. There is no need to learn these but you might like to familiarise yourself with them prior to the audition.
Auditions are open to all, but if cast you must become a member.
If you have any questions or would like to be considered but can't make the audition dates please contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the auditions.